MyTracks Should Have An API

I often rollerblade on my way to my weekend's work. It is way faster than public transportation, and it's a little workout I can't say not to. Lately - when my battery allowed it - I've been turning on MyTracks on my Android phone to track my performance.

I've always been a rollerblading loner, for several reasons: My generation thinks that rollerblading is gay (it's true that it's not the most alpha male activity); I am an expert in this discipline, and experts are rare; Usually, I just put some music on and rollerblade around town, which is not very social anyway.

Anyhow, with MyTracks, I now feel that I can be the rollerblader I am and still find rollerblading buddies. The idea would be to record a specific track (like starting from the top of one of San Francisco hills, and go all the way to downtown), post it online, and challenge other rollerbladers to do the same route, but faster.


View Larger Map

south park/valencia @ 20th - light rain - facing wind - 65% traffic

Created by My Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 3.89 km (2.4 mi)
Total Time: 21:29
Moving Time: 17:20
Average Speed: 10.87 km/h (6.8 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 13.47 km/h (8.4 mi/h)
Max Speed: 29.70 km/h (18.5 mi/h)
Min Elevation: -38 m (-124 ft)
Max Elevation: -6 m (-20 ft)
Elevation Gain: 68 m (223 ft)
Max Grade: 10 %
Min Grade: -6 %
Recorded: Sat Mar 21 15:23:35 PDT 2009
Activity type: rollerblading

Unfortunately, I think I have to calm my enthusiasm down. To have such a system working smoothly, it would require creating a small social network around MyTracks. While I am sure we could all used Friendconnect's technology to log in, MyTracks doesn't have an API yet, nor does MyMaps :(

Someday...