The art of the sreencast - day 2



This is the video interview I released this past Tuesday on HyveUp. The first mental note for self is to never over-estimate the power of new AA batteries. I was impressed enough to meet the Founder of Technorati (with all respect to his current business), but I got really destabilized when the batteries of the Flip Cam dropped dead after 3 minutes of interview, and I had to run down to the closest Walgreens to buy some more.

First noticeable aspect is the frame that respects the colors of the logo. I also had to make up a tag line since the company doesn’t seem to have one yet.

The screencast section is really short. That is due to the simplicity of the Website. The Founder meant to create a really simple way for people to use his product, and he successfully made it. Hence the screencast is short and straight to the point, just like the Website itself.

The negative aspect that I had never encountered before is the interviewee punching the table on which the camera stands, thus creating a shaky capture of the video. That’s a minus one point in terms of professionalism, but I’ll make sure it won’t happen again.

The medium quality part is also when the interviewee shows the guide: Obviously a Flip Cam won’t do a good job at capturing small prints on a book. But the other problem is that I always request that the interviewee faces the source of light, which makes it even trickier because, when he shows the book, the rays of light inevitably reflect on the pages. I’m gonna have to think this one through to find a solution.

Overall, I managed to summarize a 20-minute interview in a 2-minute video, which is the absolute goal. The interviewee has posted the video on his company’s blog, so that’s a sign that the video is at least kinda good.