Let's share a few opinions about blogging. I got into blogging a bit more than a year ago. I work in the field of communications, I'm based in San Francisco, and experiencing the social media scene here pushed me into opening the Pandora box.
This blog, Delifaks, was my test blog, the place where I'd write whatever came to my mind to watch what happens. Surprisingly enough, back in those days, I succeed to bring more traffic on a page in a day than I do on my whole professional blog in a month (yea, traffic's been lame lately). Sometimes I'd just be talking right out of my ass, and it would get popular on Digg-like niche sites. Sometimes I'd be piggybacking on a piece of news from big medias' homepages and Sphere would place me on those articles in the 'related content in the blogosphere' section.
I wrote about the extra gluten in McDonald's fries, the implication of News Corp and its buddies in the promotion of the Simpsons movie, about Lewis PR killing Second Life, about Michael Arrington's hold on the tech blogosphere... Heck, I even wrote about how Google made an intentional communications mistake to promote Sicko (and to promote their oncoming ADN-based medical consumer platform).
Then I stopped to focus on using my basic experience for my business. Tough change!
Make no mistakes: I love what I do, the community I evolve in, and the business I am developing. But somehow, on a professional level, blogging is not as impulsive and earthy. It should be though. The most popular bloggers are those who affirm a strong personality. Gary from Wine Library TV for example is doing an excellent job at grabbing our attention by giving his full self to the camera. Top tech bloggers are big-mouthed and we love it.
Professionally, I've adopted the stuck up option, simply because I do not want to deform the image of the companies I cover. It's always about being descriptive and appropriate, with a punchy twist. Politically correct in other words: Make no waves. Weird! Am I not supposed to go the opposite way to grab people's attention?
Well this question requires a bit of time to be scrutinized in depth, but as of now, I'm back to DeliFaks, talking about whatever comes to mind. Seriously, I need it: deform reality in my own way. We say that micro blogging is slowly replacing traditional blogging. While it's true that it's eating up on the blogging space, micro-blogging will never have the potential to convey in-depth thoughts. And I think that's the value of blogging: in-depth thought. Tweets are too volatile to carry a man's mind.